Tuesday, July 7, 2015

7/6 - Oxygen and illegal peanuts

Dallas to Atlanta to Lima, Peru

Living in lower altitudes is overrated.  Oxygen is too plentiful and it was time to make a change.

Machu Picchu.  How long have I thought about making this trip?  I would say probably a good ten years it's been on my mind.  In 2014, I'm not sure it came up but it was probably either around the dinner table or just hanging out, Cat and I got on the topic and it went something like this...

Me:  Oh my god I so want to go to Machu Picchu
Cat:  Oh my god I've also always wanted to go!
Me:  Oh my god let's do it!
Cat:  YES let's do it!

Due to timing issues, 2014 just wasn't feasible so we decided 2015 was the year.  It turned out Aldona has been jonsing to go too.  Girl's trip, sweet.  Aldona, I love you.  I love that you did all the research I have no patience for and planned the whole damn thing.

It felt like I blinked and January came and went.  I blinked again and it was the week before we leave.  I blink a third time and it's the weekend before our trip and then we were headed to the airport.  I should probably stop blinking or I'll be 90 before I know it.  I had planned on doing cardio to condition for the trip.  It's good to plan...

Cat was convinced one of our luggage won't make it so we both had a contingent set of clothes in our carry on.  Dinner on the plane was chicken for me, pasta for Cat then we got sandwiches for lunch.  About 45 minutes before landing, the announcement was made in no uncertain terms that no nuts are allowed in the country...but wait, trail mix is ok.  Can and I looked at each other.  Did we hear him right?  The announcement was made again, even more vehemently this time.  No nuts are allowed and if we don't finish our sandwiches, we better throw it out.  NO NUTS OR MEATS IN THE COUNTRY UNDER PENALTY OF ARREST.  But trail mix is ok.  Cat and I mulled this over.  So if you add m&m's to the nuts and some raisins, all of a sudden it's legal?  So do they restrict flour but allow waffles?  And what about meats, so do they restrict meats but allow hamburgers?!!!  We got nuthin'.

We land around 11:40pm.  Our bags took a nail bitingly long time coming off the belt in Lima and we both breathed a sigh of relief.  It's now almost 1am.  Aldona was at the exit to give us a surprise reception.  She had already landed and checked into the Costa del Sol Wynham hotel which was literally across the street from the terminal since she had arrived a few hours earlier.  We dumped our luggage and went downstairs to check in and get our free drinks.  Oddly, even though the hotel receptionist just checked Cat in he thought she had earlier and looked at us suspiciously when she said she didn't get her drink voucher.  Maybe the lack of oxygen affected the memory here?  Vouchers in hand, we head to the bar and ordered pisco sours, the national drink.



Back to our rooms as we have to get up around 6:30 for a 9:30 flight from Lima to Cusco.  

No comments:

Post a Comment