Monday, June 25, 2012

6/23 - Florence Day 1


Museum day.

The goal was to hit as many museums as possible, we ended up with three. Hey, it's still good to have goals!

Breakfast kicked off at 7:30 and we took a cab that dropped us off right at Ponte Vecchio. Ahhhh the streets of Florence were so familiar and I couldn't help the grin that lit my face.  I gave Girard a mini tour of the bridge and I revisited the jewelry store where I had purchased my rings in February.




By the way, I forgot to mention that the guidebook I've been using to supplement the suggestions made my Girard's mom was the Italy guide by Rick Steves.  He also provides free audio tours so I downloaded several of them, one called “the Renaissance Walk”.   The only problem was that it started at the Duomo and ended at Ponte Vecchio...where we already were.  Hmmm... We decided to do it anyway and along the route, to get the Firenze Card which lets you bypass lines to almost all the museums in the area including the Effuzi and Galleria Academia. The guide book said the card can be purchased at the Tourist Information booth by the Duomo so we won't be backtracking too badly.  But when we got there, they sent us to the Piazza d.Republicca where we had just come from.  *sigh*

Statues in Piazza d.Republicca


We start the audio tour and follow the audio instructions down the main street Via del Calzaiuoili stopping at churches and other points of interest per the audio tour. We arrive at the Piazza d.Republicca, get the Firenze card and continue the tour back to Ponte Vecchio. We decide to head to the Galileo museum first, then make our way to the Effuzi then up to the Academia.

For Benaye Milner...


Galileo Museum



I had an audio tour of the Effuzi as well. Even seeing it for the second time, I am awed by the works of the masters and the audio added a lot of detail that I missed the first time around. The museum had interspersed some modern art including a Mapplethorpe print from his "Perfection in Form" series in between the permanent exhibits.  The view of Ponte Vecchio from the Effuzi.


On the way to the Academia, passed by Hotel California!  Who know it was in Florence, Italy...


From the Effuzi we headed up to the Academia. I couldn't wait to view David again and he did not disappoint. I was once again awed by the magnificence of David. Oh yea, and it was pretty cool to zip through the lines with our Firenze card amongst many glares of jealousy, hehe. They had a colored imitation of David out back, hahaha!!!


We had dinner at one of Girard's mom's recommendations named Alfredo Ristaurante and I had the parma ham and melon. Yummmm. 


 We got there early, around 6:30 and waited for the restaurant to open at 7. Took a cab home to get ready for an early day tomorrow. We're headed to Pisa then coming back to Florence to finish our museum marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment