Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6/26 - Florence to Rome

I forgot it was my birthday today and we almost missed the hotel shuttle to the train station.

It's funny how a day that started out kinda iffy can turn into one that goes down in memory lane as one of the most perfect days.

The hotel shuttle was leaving at 8:30am. Girard was still checking out so I ran to the shuttle to "hold it" and it almost took off with just me.
We get to the train station and our train was delayed. i t was scheduled to leave at 9:48 and by 9:40, the platform hadn't even been announced. As soon as it came up, we rushed to platform 11 and got on. After a few minutes haggle with people in our seats, we settle in for the 1 1/2 hour journey. I hadn't slept well the night before so dozed off almost immediately. I woke to see the ticket taker coming up to check out tickets and...we forgot to date the Eurail pass. Ok, now what? Penalty? Ok, how much? 50 EURO?!!! Are you kidding?!!! Apparently, if you forget to date your Eurail pass on the days you get on the train, they basically consider it as you having no ticket and charge you the full fare. *sigh* Back to sleep I go...

Ah, Roma Termini. We're here. While on the train, I was browsing through the guidebook section on how to stay safe in Rome since it's notorious for scammers and thieves due to the amount of tourists that roll through. One of the warnings was to make sure you take a "real" marked taxi, not a gypsy cab. As soon as we exited the train station, we were assailed by gypsy cabbers flashing their taxi badges. I asked where their car was parked and they point to a street around the corner. No way. I wave him off and we head to the taxi line.

A quick 30 minute ride with me pointing out various landmarks and we were at the Sheraton Roma. We check in the they indicated the rooms weren't available for another hour but that we could use the Clubhouse on the 6th floor to relax and have refreshments while we wait. We head upstairs and Girard checked on the rooms and made reservations for my birthday dinner at La Terraza del Eden with the Clubhouse Concierge while I figure out how to make some coffee at the espresso machine. It was almost noon and I was starving. The Concierge checked on our rooms and found that they were available, yay! We get our keys and agree to meet in 30 min to figure out the rest of the day.

We decided to head to City Center to get food and walk around. On my trip in February, I had missed the museums that housed Caravaggio paintings so suggested we make the afternoon a church viewing tour. I jot down the names of the churches I found online, mark them on the map and we were just caught the hotel shuttle as it was headed downtown.

Armed with my trusty map and dusting the cobwebs off the routes I remember from February, we headed towards the Pantheon. We stop for a quick lunch (it was around 4pm) and I was able to view the interior that I was only able to peek in through the gaps in the door on my previous trip.

Parthenon


Our destination included three churches:
- Santa Maria Popolo in Piazza del Popolo
- Saint Augostino in Piazza Navona
- San Luigi del Francesi

San Luigi del Francesi




Saint Agostino




It was amazing to see original Caravaggios up close and personal.  The first two churches allowed photos but the final one at Santa Mary Popolo didn't.  I will have to settle on my awesome memory for that one, ha!

The dinner reservation was at 7pm so we checked our trusty map and plotted our course.  We arrived at the Eden hotel around 6:30 and went in search of the hotel.  What we found was a terrace with the most amazing view of Rome.

Medici Villa (right), Victor Emmanuel monument (center)


St. Peter's Basilica (white dome in center) and the Vatican


And the free snack food with drinks was just so stinking cute!!!  I had a caipirinha.  Yes it's actually a Brazilian drink but what the heck.


The restaurant opened around 7:30pm so we moved inside for dinner.  I stared at my menu and realized something odd...there were no prices on anything.  Hmmm...  I mentioned this oddity to Girard.  Apparently, as it turned out the prices are only on his menu.  "Order whatever you want, really", and I quote that verbatim.  Hint, hint, this was a foreshadowing for what was to come.  I browse through the menu and jokingly mentioned I'd order the beluga caviar, haha!  "Sure, go for it", and again I quote verbatim.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, if you want it order it"

It's been years since I've had good caviar so I decide to take the plunge.  I remembered it had cost about $100 at the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena so it can't be more than that...can it?  We were served little nuggets of heaven provided free of charge by the chef.  This included beef...ummm something, sushi and fresh watermelon with gin.  I still drool thinking about this meal.


Then my caviar was served up.  Ok, if you don't like caviar then you haven't tried beluga.  It was a freaking flavor disco on my tastebuds.  The caviar was accompanied by fresh cream, homemade mini pancakes, egg yolk, cheese, onions and diced olives.  I didn't even realize I closed my eyes in sheer bliss at every bit until Girard pointed it out.


The waiter had brought an extra plate of the mini pancakes but I was being so stingy and wanting to savor it, that I ran out with half the caviar still left.  They made one more batch onto which I piled on the little morsels of goodness.  The main course was sea bass with shrimp raviolis.


Dinner was finished off with a birthday gift from the chef...



We get the bill and Girard's eyes become round saucers.  I sneak a peak and...holy crap!  "I thought the menu said $38 for the caviar!"  Ummm...apparently he didn't see the zero at the end of that.  I stared it in shock.  You mean I just ate a car payment?!!!  O.O

Thank you Benaye, Everet and Girard for such and incredible birthday.  You guys have given me a very special gift I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment