Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1/10 – Banana Pancakes!

Why is it that on a normal workday, I can barely drag my ass out of bed, regardless of what time I wake up, and am not completely human until after my first cup of coffee, yet when I’m on vacation and have every right to sleep in, my eyes pop open at 6:30am?  It’s so unfair!  I forced my eyes closed until 7:30, which is still ungodly but a tad more respectable.

The Brandner family was already up and bustling about.  Shannon offered to make banana pancakes with eggs and bacon.  I grunted and scowled at the empty coffee pot.  Did I mention I am NOT a morning person and am reduced to animal-like sounds until I get some caffeine into my system?  Halfway through my second cup with the smell of greasy bacon in the air, I finally managed to mumble  “good mornings” to all.  Shannon was in the kitchen piling decadent looking banana pancakes onto a platter while Krys did the same with an ever growing platter of bacon.  We sat down to eat and my eyes practically rolled to the back of my head when the pancakes melted on my tongue.  I have to say, these were the absolute best pancakes I’ve ever tasted and I’ve ingested a LOT of pancakes.  We made quick work of a couple dozen pancakes (hey, they were small and there were 4 ½ of us!) and 1 ½ lbs of bacon. 

After breakfast, Matt and Krys headed to Lancaster to drop off Matt’s stuff in the storage unit so that he could pick them up and move into his house after the trip.  I enjoyed the afternoon catching up with one of my very best friends, Shannon Brandner (nee Butler), and watched her chase after her two and one year old boys, Daniel and Connor.  I escaped to the bedroom after a bit to catch up on some reading on the Kindle.  I do love my gadgets. 

The boyz returned from their excursion into Lancaster and we got ready to head to the Spaghetti Factory in Duarte to meet up with the rest of the Ramona gang, with a quick stop at REI to gather last minute items.  I was ecstatic that so many could make it with such short notice.  Shannon, Matt and I met up with Rosa, Jeff and their two boys, Claudia, Xana plus hubby and Susan.  As always, our catch-ups entailed reliving each and every embarrassing, drunken escapade and all of the dirt related to boyfriends-best-forgotten we could dig up about each other.  Toss in our propensity for sharing and alcohol and nothing was sacred.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.

On the way back from dinner, we stopped at Starbucks to get Shannon a rare “adult” beverage since she usually had the boys with her and rarely ordered anything but hot chocolate.  I still didn't get what the heck was a “decaf skinny upside down caramel macchiato” but do think they should have added the twist of lemon (reference to the movie LA Story).

A day filled with great food and amazing friends, and I am about to embark on an incredible motorcycle journey.  Life doesn’t get better than this…

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Swooze, that scene from LA Story was hilarious. I have to say that as a waiter I hated every single one of those people :)

    Breakfast sounds good, except for the forum regulars' obsession with bacon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baaaaacon!!! I have to admit that the bacon here is AMAZING! I've been taken pics of all the food, haha!

    ReplyDelete