Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1/25 - Bungy Jumping

Add caption

Mileage: 86

Bungy jumping - hands down, the most unnatural thing I've done in my life.


I hopped out of bed, jittery with excitement.  Today I do my first bungy jump.  I had to meet the group in Queenstown by 11:30 so ate a quick breakfast and rode in to town with Matt, who was also jumping but with another group.  I headed over to AJ Hackett Bungy in the middle of town, paid, got my hand inked and waited for the bus to pick me up.  


That was it, I've committed to doing this.  If I didn't go through with it, I'd be out $180 NZ and only have a red marker on the back of my hand to show for it.  I was early so I sat on a bench and watched their promotional video of people doing various jumps.  Just watching made me nervous so I tried to calm my mind.  The company had several types of jumps and I chose Kawarau Bridge for several reasons.  First, it was the home of the original bungy.  I didn't know that AJ Hackett invented bungy jumping and Kawarau was the very first place it was done.  I couldn't think of a more suitable or beautiful place to perform my first jump.  Second, it was 43 meters vs the Nevis which was a ridiculous 143 meters dropping into a canyon.  I figured 43 meters was plenty high, plus it was over water so if something did happen, the likelihood of survival was greater than splattering from a greater height.


I had experienced fear.  I had experienced horror.  But nothing prepared me for how UNnatural it felt, standing at the edge of the two by three foot ledge of the jump platform on the Kawarau Bridge, contemplating the insanity of hurling my body into the emptiness that was 43 meters above the Kawarau River.  


The night before, I mentally prepared myself.  By the way, I realized today that NOTHING could have prepared me for this experience.  I visualized myself, flying gracefully off the platform in a swan dive, my face lifted, my eyes taking in the view.  I had almost convinced myself that was how I would do it, even up to minute I walked onto the bridge, over to the kiosk from where I was to launch myself into oblivion.  But the minute I got to the kiosk, the only feeling I was conscious of was panic.  My eyes bugged as I saw just how high I was, and all thought deserted me except "what the f*k am I doing?!!"  

I needed to calm down or I'd chicken out.  They had a t-shirt just for chickens, haha!  I closed my eyes and leaned against the railing that led the few steps down to the platform where they prep you.  I took deep breaths and tried to stop my heart from making a break out of my chest.  It was working.  My heart rate slowed and calm slowly stole over me.  It lasted only until I opened my eyes because as soon as I did, panic came rushing back.  Suddenly I heard my name, they were motioning me forward.  The old lady in front of me had jumped and it was my turn.  My jello-like legs trembled down the few steps and I practically fell into a sitting position.  As they bound my legs tightly, I could barely breath.  They pulled me up and when I turned to face the platform, I almost scrambled back up the stairs.  If you've ever experience vertigo, you know how dizzying it is.  I saw the mountains far away.  I glanced down and the flow of the river waaaaay down below seemed to pull farther away, like in the movies.  I was so dizzy I could barely stand.  They asked me to scooch up more, to the edge of the platform.  I held on to the handrails by the stairs as every nerve in my body was screaming for self preservation.  I lost my nerve.  I looked over at the girl, shook my head and said "I don't think I can do this".  She said, "Sure you can" and asked me to scooch up again.  I wasn't sure how I managed to get my body to obey, but I made a few bunny hops to the edge.  She was holding on to the back belt loop of my jeans.  She let go, told me to keep my eyes on the mountains and counted "5...4...3...2...1...GO!" and I jumped.  


In my visualizations, I was in a graceful swan dive, perfectly silent, maybe even smiling.  In reality, a high pitched scream was ripped from my throat and my stomach tried to crawl out with the scream.  I didn't remember if my eyes were open.  I didn't remember much expect screaming and the utter terror that overcame me as my body plummeted through the air.  I think I finally stopped screaming when I felt the bungy slow my descent and saw the river rushing up towards me.


The bungy pulled me back up and I bounced around a few times, then just hung there like one of those roasted ducks in a Chinese restaurant.  A raft floated by and they pulled me in, unhooking everything.  I just lay there laughing.  It was the most amazing experience ever, I can't believe I did it!  


My legs could barely support me as I climbed out of the raft and slowly walked up the road to the main building.  I was watching others jump from one of the two viewing platforms and a couple was standing next to me, also watching.  When they found out I had already made my jump, the girl asked me how I felt with all the spectators (and there was a TON of them) watching and if it made me nervous.  I answered honestly.  When you're standing at the edge of the platform with your heart is in your throat, the last thing you're thinking about are the spectators.  


I'm alive!!!

I got my free t-shirt, my dvd, bought a NZ military cap to add to my collection and hopped on the bus back to Queenstown.  To steady my nerves, I did a little shopping while munching on banoffe (banana/toffee) gelato.


My legs felt slightly normal again so I hopped on the bike for the 41 mile trek back to Wanaka.  I unsuccessfully tried to book a massage (I seriously needed one after the canyoning the day before then the bungy today), but everything was booked.  Matt got back around this time and I had promised him a graduation celebratory dinner so we headed out to Wanaka Ale House for ribs.  I seriously wish I had my camera as Matt had BBQ sauce all over his face.

As I sit updating my blog, sipping on hot green tea and replaying the day, I found myself wondering where I could locate a good bungy jumping facility in TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment