Sunday, January 9, 2011

1/9 - Lounging in Cali

Albuquerque, NM to Phelan, CA - 730 miles

We hit the road a little after 7am to get a head start on a long drive day.  The goal was to make it to Brandner Palace in Phelan, CA by 6pm.  After a quick breakfast at McD and grabbing a cup of coffee to go, we were back on I-40 to Cali.  The drive was beautiful as we said goodbye to New Mexico and entered Arizona.  There was a smatterings of snow that grew more dense as we got closer to Flagstaff until I was surrounded by snow covered trees.  The views were breathtaking, especially with snow-capped mountains peeking through.  Unfortunately, I was so taken with the scenery I forgot to take pics until the snow started to dissipate.




We were just passing Kingman, AZ when all of a sudden Matt glanced in the rear view mirror and started to pull over.  I looked at him, wondering if he noticed a problem with the car or if the luggage was loose.  None of the above, we were getting pulled over!  What?!!  We couldn't have been speeding because the car wasn't physically ABLE to go that fast.  It seemed the lovely police officer had taken issue with a crack in the windshield.  *sigh*  We were back on the road after receiving a written warning.

As soon as we entered California, I felt like I was home.  I couldn't stop smiling.  I always forget just how much I miss the cutout of the shapes of the mountains against the horizon and the beauty of the sunsets as they blaze behind those ranges.  We made a quick gas stop in Barstow and I truly realized I was back in California when I noticed car loads of Asians.  I had gotten so used to not seeing but a handful of Asians at a time in Texas, that I was staring at them a little dumbfounded wondering where they all came from.  I couldn't help but laugh.

We pulled up to the front door of Casa Brandner at 6:30pm, just in time for dinner.  I couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some lovely wine that's waiting anxiously to be consumed...

No comments:

Post a Comment