Sunday, January 2, 2011

1/2 - The Idea

The idea for this trip was planted during a roadtrip from Dallas, TX to Deals Gap, NC in May 2009.  We were toting our bikes up for the annual Ninja 250 riders meet.  The mind flips through many topics during long drives and this was just one of many.  My travel companion, MattW (mattwood1221) from the Ninja 250 forum, and I were indulging in some casual conversation about I-don't-remember-what when he mentioned just how awesome it would be to take a motorcycle trip through New Zealand.  Another forum member had returned from a trip to the Kiwi islands and posted a wonderful recount of his adventures with some pretty stunning photos.  It was one of those spur of the moment, "Hey, you wanna go?", "Sure!" scenarios.  We briefly mulled over the timing for such a trip and surmised that the month of January would be ideal.  January would be summer for NZ and MattW was graduating in December 2010.  What a way to celebrate!

MattW reminded me of the trip around March 2010.  I have to admit, I wasn't sure how serious he was about this idea when we first discussed it the previous year and it had slipped my mind.  We finalized the timeframe for taking the trip in January 2011 and started planning.  Okay okay, HE started planning.  Thank you thank you thank you!  I was drowning in work and couldn't breathe much less think about something almost a year away.

Well here we are, 6 days from departure and I'm a little shell shocked to say the least.  How the heck did it sneak up on me?  I'm excited, I'm giddy, I get to see where Lord of the Rings was filmed!  That reminds me, I should probably starting thinking about what I need to pack for the trip, especially the outlet converter.  I'd hate to blow the fuse in whichever hostel we're staying the way I zapped the power in the hotel in Greece trying to blow dry my hair...ahem, that's a story for another time.  After almost a year of pre-planning, 6 days suddenly feels right around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment