Sunday, January 16, 2011

1/16 - Pohara to Westport



Mileage:  250'ish

This morning, my eyes popped open at 7am.  Bah...

I cooked up the bacon (BAAACON!!!) that I got the night before to accompany the eggs, fresh rasberry yogurt and crumpets.  I think a long time ago, a pancake mated with an english muffin and voila, the crumpet was born!


The ride was absolutely incredible but I had to take it super easy.  The allergy/cold had made it's way down into my chest, my ears kept plugging up and my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton balls.  I couldn't focus.  The ride was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen so I didn't mind taking my time.  It was similar to the California twisties but extremely lush, like a rainforest.  I was grateful for my new gear as the road went through several different temperatures in a very short period.  Also, the West Coast of NZ was known for rain.  As we got closer, the clouds moved in, the temperature dropped and started misting.  We had a quick lunch at the Riverview Cafe.


If you can tell me what's wrong with the photo below, I'll give you a NZ dollar.


We split a smoked chicken, cranberry and brie pizza.  Wow, if I could actually have tasted it past my sinus congestion, it would have been even more awesome.


As we rode closer to Westport, the rain started coming down harder and I realized the joy of heated grips.  The Beemer came with them and it was the perfect time to try them out since my fingers were slowly freezing off.  Wow, those babies ROCK!  My hands got nice and toasty.  Between the heated grips and my waterproof gear, I didn't even mind the rain.  Yes ladies and gentlemen, you heard it here first.  I didn't mind the rain.  I won't go so far to say I enjoyed it, ok maybe a little.  The right gear made all the difference.

We arrived at TripInn hostel in Westport around 3pm.  Most of the places we've stayed cost about $25 NZ per night per person.  Pretty sweet.  I thought about booking my adventure caving tour for tomorrow but the thought of crawling through tight spaces underground with my sinuses plugged up and hacking up a lung didn't sound too appealing.  I'd rather get some rest and hopefully kick this thing since I still have over 1000 miles and 12 days of riding and to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment