Saturday, January 15, 2011

1/13 - Sydney, Australia to Christchurch, NZ

The flight from Los Angeles to Sydney was 13 hrs + but it flew by...haha...pun intended.  ;p

The airplane was a 777 and had a full freaking bar!  Unfortunately, I forgot to take the pic when I boarded and the bar was fully stocked but you get an idea what it looked like.  Too damn cool.



It also helped that we each had our own tv screens on the back of the seats in front of us.


The in-flight monitors came with a whole slew of geek friendly options like games, a ton of movies, all genres of music and you can even chat!  Yes, you can chat or enter into a chatroom with someone from another seat.  Ha!  That was pretty entertaining.  I thought about "crank chatting" with some random person.  Maybe I'll do that on the flight back.

The only unpleasantness had everything to do with the big fat stinky snorey dude sitting next to me.  He also had some sort of anxiety issue as his leg shook like a dog shaking off water even while he snored.  Now THAT's talent.  Other than that, the flight was pleasant.  I watched three terrific movies (Eat Love Pray, Despicable Me and Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole).  I played games in between the movies and cranked up some electronica tunes while I was at it.



The weather was perfect sitting in the low 70's and climbed up to the high 80's during the day.  Since we had some time to kill, we decided to leave the airport and do some site seeing in Sydney.  The original plan was to take the tour over the top of the Sydney Bridge.  However, after having had minimal sleep, going through customs, then searching for toothpaste stuff to freshen up (I checked all that stuff in) so my teeth didn't feel so fuzzy and I could stand to eat, I wasn't in the mood for any activity that required much energy.  Once my teeth were appropriately fuzz free, I had an Australian breakfast with a nice latte.



Matt was interested in the Harbor Tour so I decided to join him.  I've missed the smell of the ocean.  The boat tour took us all around the harbor for about 1 1/2 hours.  The views were magnificent.  


The Sydney Bridge


The Sydney Opera House


Sydney skyline

While Matt took a tour of the Sydney Opera House, I found this exhibit.


They used natural light to create art inside these air inflated structures.  The outside looked like this:


You take your shoes off to go inside.  You're completely transported.  There were tubular caverns inside and you could just sit and lounge.  They were playing this airy trance music.  Wow...


The ceiling.  Too cool.



The flight from Sydney to Christchurch was a quick three hours.  We grabbed a shuttle and rolled in to the Dorset House backpackers hostel around 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment