Monday, January 31, 2011

1/27 - Hokitika to Hamner Springs


Mileage: 156

The world disappears when I ride...

The upside of having a really crappy day yesterday?  I was ecstatic when I walked out of the hostel this morning to the sun smiling down.  The rain had turned torrential throughout most of the night and I was worried for today's ride.  I woke up around 6:30 but slept in until 7am.  I know, I can't believe 7am was sleeping in for me!  Back in the States, I'm lucky to roll out of bed by 8:30.  I had gone to bed around 10pm so felt pretty energized this morning, especially with the beautiful weather.  We saddled up and head towards Hamner Springs, a mere 156 miles away.


The ride was stunning.  The rode cut through the mountainside through the forest, and the branches of the trees interlaced like fingers overhead, forming a little tunnel of trees.  The sun glittered through the leaves leaving intricate shadow patterns on the ground.  It had turned quite warm and the shade of the trees provided a cool reprieve.


I took my time riding leisurely to absorb the beautiful view.  I found the perfect pace, which allowed me to be partially in the zone but not so fully that I couldn't gawk at everything around me.  Whenever I reached a particularly lovely stretch of road, I slowed down to take it all in.


The road climbed the hillsides, then rolled back down winding around valleys.


Matt and I arrived in Hamner Springs around noon.  It was early so grabbed some lunch, then check into the hostel.  I ordered a lamb sandwich laid on a bed of drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegarette.


One of the guests at the Birdsong hostel in Hokitika mentioned that Hamner Springs was known for hot springs.  Soaking my tired, aching muscles in a hot springs sounded damn good.  It turned out the thermal hot pools was just across the street from the restaurant and less than a mile from the hostel.  We checked in, dropped our stuff off at Le Gite Hostel and I went hunting for a spa (I really needed that massage) then the thermal hot pools while Matt went out to ride some more.

I had a map of the city that listed several spa choices.  The first two I checked were completely booked.  I trekked about another half mile over to the third one.  I thought I had gone the wrong way when I saw only residential housing, but then saw the little sign that said "Massage & Beauty".  I was skeptical but headed up the winding gravel driveway and saw another sign with an arrow.  I followed the driveway and...was absolutely floored.  I had arrived at a little oasis tucked away in the middle of nowhere.  There was a cute little house to my left and a lovely courtyard ahead of me.  The courtyard was next to a garden full of blooming flowers.  It certainly felt serene and spa-like.  There was a little building past the courtyard and I headed towards it.  I walked in and a man named Steve greeted me.  I inquired about openings, fully expecting to be disappointed.  They had time now!  I decided to go for a 1 hr full body massage and also a 1 hr facial.  I deserved to be pampered!

The man had magical hands I received one of the best massages I've ever had.  The facial was also superb.
Every touch was purposeful and soothing.  I walked out of there feeling light-headed and a little like jello.  Steve offered me a ride back to town center.  Even though it was only about a 1/2 mile, my legs didn't feel up to the walk after his ministrations.  Also, by the time I was done with my services, the clouds had rolled back in, the temperature had dropped and it was lightly drizzling.  Steve dropped me off at the thermal hot pools facility.  I couldn't wait to soak my aching, gelatin body.  For $18 NZ, I received access to the entire facility.  I relaxed in the sulfur springs for quite a while then hit a couple other cooler ones.


I was going on 6pm so I walked back to the hostel to change so I could go out to dinner.  Matt was caught up in a game of Monopoly with fellow hostelers so I headed out to Corianders, a lovely Indian restaurant.  I ordered a mango lassi (I'm totally addicted to the stuff), Lamb Korma and chased everything down with some hot naan bread.

We were heading back to Christchurch tomorrow and I remembered that the couple I had met while lunching in Glenorchy mentioned they would back as well and to give them a call if we wanted to ride down to Akaroa peninsula.  It was supposed to be a beautiful ride.  I talked to Richard, the hubby and he offered that we meet at his house and even offered to help us return the bikes!  Kiwis and Aussies are the nicest people!

It's hard to believe we head back to Christchurch tomorrow then fly home the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment